Kia Cerato K3 Fuel Consumption - An owner's experience

Assalamualaikum,

I bought a Kia Cerato K3 as a replacement for my Kia K5 back in the middle of 2015. The K5 was a good car, making it a tough decision to let go. 




But, roughly two years ago, I made a conscious decision to start living below my means. I'm guessing that many of you are familiar with the term living WITHIN your means. For my case though, I decided that I'm going to explore with living BENEATH my means. Expecting tough times in years to come, I think that it will be a correct decision to let go of the K5 to gain some extra saving for the long run. 
You can read my experience with the K5 from the two links below.

KIA K5 - AN OWNER'S EXPERIENCE AFTER 50,000 KM



One of the reason for me to switch to a K3 is the engine size. Going down from a 2.0 liter to a 1.6 liter engine, I know and up to a certain extend I prayed that I will straight away earn some savings in term of fuel's economy. The logic behind it is the smaller the engine's capacity, the better the fuel economy will be.

To help me with managing the fuel usage data, I used an app called Fuel Log 3. It is available for iPhone, but I'm not so sure it's availability for Android. It is an easy app to use. From the very beginning (when the odometer was registering less than 20km), I filled up the fuel tank to the max. From then on, every subsequent fill ups it will need to be to the max as well. So, every fill ups I will key in into the app, the costs and the new mileage from the odometer. The app will help calculate and monitor the fuel usage.


From the summary below, the average fuel consumption from 15th June 2015 until 15th November 2016 on the K3 is 13.96 km/l. During the last fill up, the odometer on my car was at 35,250 kilometers. I believe that the K3 is giving me good fuel consumption, considering that I need to travel from the mainland to Penang Island during weekdays for work. Passing through the 1st Penang Bridge at peak hours means bumper to bumper traffic. To get 13.96 km/l is something that I consider as impressive.



Let's compare that with what I used to get from the K5 in terms of fuel economy. The summary below shows that I used to be getting as an average 12.30 km/l. That is lower by 1.66 km/l in comparison to the K3. Not bad, not bad at all I shall say.


To the fellow K3 owners out there, how is your fuel economy readings to date? Do share it. It will be interesting to know and to discuss here.

Comments