Mi Band review

Assalamualaikum,
 
Roughly a month ago, I was handed a Mi Band as a gift for being part of the winning team during our company's teambuilding session. At first, I thought that it is a useless piece of junk and only work on Android. But, after a month, I found it to be a nifty and useful device instead. Another plus point is that it is supported in IOS.
 

So today, I decided to do a quick review of the RM59 device and share it here.
 
There are many health tracking devices currently in the market, and Mi Band which is produced by Xiaomi, is one of those trying to get a slice of the pie. Comparing the price of Mi Band and the other devices, you'll notice that the Mi Band is very competatively priced. It will be difficult to find a device priced below RM100.
 
The Mi Band comes in a small box. The packaging is simple and compact.

 

Inside of the box, you'll find an Instruction Manual, a strap, a metal bluetooth capsule (with sensor and pedometer) and a USB charger. The strap comes in variety of colour. I'm currently noticing some scratches on the strap, but it is not that visible. I do not expect it to be free of scratches anyway because having something strapped to my wrist will inadvertently subject it to a few knocks here and there. As a complete set, the Mi Band is lightweight and comfortable to wear.
 



For those using IOS devices, you can download the app for Mi Band from the app store. The app is called MI Fit.
 

You will be asked to register prior being able to use the app. The registration is a simple enough process. Any Tom, Dick and Harry will be able to set it up. No rocket science here.
 
The Mi Band is able to track your steps and sleep time.
 
This is how the steps counter UI interface looks like. It is simple, and quite easy to understand.



As a step counter, I believe that it is pretty accurate. It is recommended that the Band is worn on your wrist, but I found that it able to detect my steps even when placed inside of my front jeans/trousers' pocket. I tried holding my phone while looking at the counter during my normal walk, and from what I can see and observe, the counter is pretty much accurately picking up my steps count at real time. So, for a cheap device I am quite impressed. The app allows me to set a target for how many steps that I want to achieve in a day. The Mi Band will be able to notify by lighting up the LEDs on the metal capsule when you are half way there or fully achieved your target for the day. You have the option to change band light colour to blue, orange, green or red.
 
You can do some small customization through the app, for example setting the Band to vibrate for incoming calls or alarms.
 

As a sleep tracker, I like how it can detect when I'm in a deep sleep. The band translate less movement to be equivalent of the quantity of deep sleep. But I found that it is not that accurate when detecting the waking up time. I believe that it is using the time when I open the app in the morning as the time I wake up. I might be wrong here, but I believe that I can know for certain in the next couple of months, with longer use.
 


Both sleep and steps tracker has a summary page, so it is easy to track your activities.
 
The app also provide a weight tracker. It should be used with a Xiaomi's very own weight device. For those not planning to fork out any money to buy one, you can record your weight but simply entering the data by yourself.
 
What I like about the Mi Band is that it works as a standalone device. I can leave my phone behind and the Mi Band will pick up my activities throughout the day. When I want to view my progress for the day, I just sync it with my iPhone, and all of the data will then be transferred to the app. It will not require the usage of a phone (for example GPS data) to function. I will not require to carry my phone while out jogging. There is less chance of getting mug and my phone stolen during one of my jogging session.
 
The Mi Band is water resistant (IP67). No worries while running in the rain.
The app and it's data can be link to Apple's Health app.
 
I think those who read this blog will know that I love cycling. I actually plan to use the Mi Band to count how many times I paddle my bicycle. I'm not sure whether it can pick up any data if I wear the Band on my ankle. This is my next to do list when I'm back on my cycling routine. I'll try to post the finding here if it turn out to be successful, or not....

So, that's it. A short review on the Mi band. I personally find it useful to judge whether I'm active enough for the day. It is a good and cheap device to gauge my activities. If you guys and gals out there need me to answer questions pertaining to the Mi Band, you can do so at the comment section. I'll try to answer to the best that I can....till then, adios.

Comments

  1. Assalam ajip,
    he3
    apa kobondo eh tuuuu???
    ppssstt : maap la yer, iols ni agak buta gadget :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment