City Ride 4th Edition 2018 Cycling Event

Assalamualaikum,

City Ride is now in it's 4th Edition. This year, it was held on 7th January 2018, and the event took place for the first time at Balik Pulau. Gone are the normal on-road route on the previous editions, in come an off-road ride instead. The total distance for this event will be roughly 35km. Participants will cycle through paddy fields and kampung roads while enjoying the scenic view of Balik Pulau. 
 The fee for the event is a mere RM10. Extremely cheap! That RM10 includes an event T-shirt.

City Ride was my first cycling event for the year. The first of many, I hope. The way that organizers starting to charge exorbitant amount of money for this year cycling events, it got me to think of skipping some many of them. Kayuh solo lagi bagus...or maybe, join as a ghost rider. Itu lagi bagus.

The starting point for City Ride was at Komplek Sukan Balik Pulau. I arrived at roughly 7am, and parked my car close to SMK Seri Balik Pulau. Done with preparing my bike for the event, I went searching for a place to wee wee (it was a cold morning!). The guards at SMK Seri Balik Pulau were kind enough to allow me to use the toilet at their school. Terima kasih pakcik jaga. When that business was done, I was busy contacting my colleague Sam. Sam helped me to collect the event's t-shirt from Dewan Bandaraya (near Padang Kota) 2 days before the event (thank you Sam!! your help is highly appreciated), so I need to grab my shirt from him for the event. Less than 10 minutes from the flag off time, I was able to meet up with Sam. I then rushed back to my car and start swapping shirts. When I reached the starting point, the event started. Ngam-ngam on time...

Below are photos on the type of path that all of the event's participant need to endure for close to 35km. It was not an extensive sets of photos. There were more horrendous path which I did not dare to snap any photo off. I rather have both of my hands planted tightly on the handlebar instead of having one hand holding my phone to snap photos. Nak berhenti ambil gambar, takut terpisah dengan group that I was cycling with. They were on a good pace, rugi kalau terpisah.







At a cross road...
Semasa sedang asyik kayuh basikal tu, tiba-tiba kami sampai ke simpang yang bercabang. Masing-masing terus stop sebab tak ada route marker. Tak tahu nak ikut jalan yang mana satu. Lama juga kami berhenti di situ, trying to figure out which route to take.


Ramai juga yang berhenti time tu. At last, someone told us that the route on the left is a short cut, while the one on the right is the correct route. So, when that information flow through we went back to menikmati kayuh basikal. I saw a few that took the short cut, while the rest followed the route on the right. I took the route on the right as well.


Continuing on with the route on the right, we arrived at Saanen Dairy Goat Farm. I stopped for a short while untuk berposing dengan burung unta. Bukan senang nak jumpa dengan burung unta.





After that short break, we soldiered on to the finishing line. I completed the whole course in exactly 1 hour and 45 minutes. Penat woooiii...

Both of my colleague safely completed the event as well.

That's me with Sam.


And that's me with Alice. She rode a foldie on that day. Respect!


Special thanks to the organizer for providing a place to wash our bikes. All of our bikes kotor giler. Kena lumpur dan tahi lembu. Along the route banyak tempat ada tahi lembu. Jenuh nak mengelak. Yang tak dapat nak elak tu, terpaksa pasrah dan redha je laa. Tak tergamak nak simpan basikal dalam kereta bila penuh tahi lembu tu. Nasib baik dapat cuci dulu. Sure second hand value basikal aku ni jatuh sebab kena tahi lembu.


A few pics at the finishing line.




All in all, it was a good event. I just wish that the organizer can prepare water station at mid distance. Dahaga wooo. Dah ler saya tak bawa drinking water during the ride. Salah sendiri jugak tu.

Insyaallah, kalau next year ada lagi event ni, I plan to join lagi, kalau harga registration tak mahal la. Kalau dah mahal sangat, terus boikot.


Ok, that's all folks. Bye bye...

Comments

Post a Comment